Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Happy Tuesday! So, over the weekend I got a horrible cold and let me tell you about it.

I woke up Saturday with a fever, a cough, body aches and chills. I was falling apart. It was like I had never been sick before. It hurt to cough and I couldn't get warm. This is what followed. I called my mommy and cried (if you told me I was going to do this, I would've laughed in your face). I had about a 15 minute freak out and then pulled my crap together and called the nurse line. The nurse got in touch with the nurse practitioner that works with my oncologist. She very nicely told me I was crazy and I had a cold. So after she told me what was up (which was VERY needed) I took a nap for most of the afternoon and felt much better. So if anyone needs a Class A drama queen, you let me know because after this cold I should've won an Oscar for best dramatic performance.

Anyway, that leads us to this week. I have now completed 7 radiation treatments and have 18 left to go. Getting closer. Everyday I hall my cute little butt down to the Roger Maris Cancer Center. I normally come flying in because I am late. Pull up to the valet parking (almost hitting the nice volunteers) and drop off my car. I then rush into the radiation oncology check in office and take my chair. I see the same folks most days, which is kinda nice. Familiar faces always make things easier. Its strange that complete strangers feel like good friends but that is now my weird new life. 

Then either Pam or Mary Jo come to get me. I have the same two nurses everyday, except for Fridays when the closer (Deb) comes to work. They are very nice ladies. After they come and get me from the waiting room, I head to the dressing rooms to change into my lovely pink smock (I should probably make hospital gowns into some type of new fashion statement because I make them look good...just kidding that is completely impossible). After I put my pink smock on, I head into the radiation room. The room is just a big hospital room, kinda looks like an x-ray room (for those of you that have had the pleasure of x-rays). I lay on a cold metal table, they tie my feet together, lay my body into this strange mold, and get to see my bare chest. I know this sounds like a good time, let me know and I'll be happy to switch out with you for a day. :) They do some measuring, number talk, and then the nurses leave the room. There is a big metal arm that comes out, over the top of my head from behind. This arm moves side to side. I call the nurse that controls the arm the driver. I don't actually know her name but I refer to her as Dale Jr. (because that is the only race car driver I know). Anyway, Dale positions the arm where it needs to be and then a loud buzzing/beeping noise follows. The whole process lasts for about 10 minutes. The worst part about this whole process is the laying still...I'm not so good at that. Then it's over and I get to leave.

I'm looking forward to the end of the week and being 10 treatments down and 15 to go. Well..that's all, bye for now. :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment